Showcasing our Culture & Heritage through history, music, drama and visual arts.
Eastport, Newfoundland - July 6 & 7
The Eastport Peninsula Heritage Society announces the "3rd Biennial Gerald S. Doyle Folk Song Festival".This new summer festival on the Eastport
Peninsula will celebrate the folk music of Newfoundland & Labrador through the work of Gerald S. Doyle, our province's greatest contributor to the preservation
and promotion of our folk music heritage. The festival's major events will take place at The Beaches Heritage Centre in Eastport, NL, July 6 & 7, 2012
and will include
- Friday, July 6
- 7:00 PM - Film "Regarding our Father"- A film of the life and times of Gerald S. Doyle documented by John W. Doyle
- 8:00 PM - Road to the Beaches Musicians Concert Songs of the Gerald S. Doyle Songbook, performed by Local Musicians
- Saturday, July 7
- 8:00 PM - Island Songwriters Concert- Songwriters from across the Island discuss and sing songs they have written.
- Why a "Gerald S. Doyle Folk Song Festival"?
- Gerald S. Doyle has not been adequately recognized for his contribution to the preservation of our folk songs.
- Currently, there is no festival dedicated exclusively to the folk song.
- Gerald S. Doyle has a long history on the Eastport Peninsula. He built the first "summer cottage" in Eastport, which still stands as part of The White Sails Inn
- A festival of this nature fits perfectly into the mandate of the Eastport Peninsula Heritage Society, operators of The Beaches Heritage Centre - the premier location
for events promoting our cultural heritage.
For bookings contact
The Beaches Heritage Centre:
For interviews and/or elaboration, contact:
- The Eastport Peninsula Heritage Society/The Beaches Heritage Centre
Site design & development by AmandaMarks